Master Meany, Master Giletti, Master Malarkey and Master Youngblood, as well as almost 20 other students all went to Asheville, NC to attend the Taekwon-do International Summer Camp 2016 this past weekend.
The program for the weekend included a variety of areas of practice that focuses largely on Taekwon-do but included some Krav Maga and Jujitsu skills as well. There were sessions on generating power, proper kicking and punching technique, patterns, sparring drills, sparring, stretching, boxing techniques, self defense and more! Sunday capped off the weekend with each instructor giving a recap of the lessons they taught and offering highlights, take-aways and advice. Everyone there took away something to improve and inspire their training.
This year’s camp demonstrated the quality of instruction and variety of highly skilled instructors with sessions from master instructors including:
- Grandmaster S.J. Kim, 9th Dan, Founder and President of Taekwon-do International
- Master Mark Nathanson, 7th Dan, Glen Ridge Taekwon-do
- Master Tony Morris, 7th Dan, Asheville Sun Soo Tae Kwon Do, Asheville, NC
- Master John Meany, 7th Dan, Taekwon-do International Chief Instructor, Glen Ridge Taekwon-do
- Master James Marr, 7th Dan, Master Marr’s Taekwon-do, Shaker Heights, OH
- Master Laura Giletti, 6th Dan, Glen Ridge Taekwon-do
- Master Keith Klok, , 6th Dan, Klok's School of Martial Arts, Wake Forest, NC, Full Instructor Krav Maga
- Professor Thabiti Sabahive, 5th Dan Dansan Ryu Jujitsu, Asheville Sun Soo, Asheville, NC
- Master Jessica Sabatian, 4th Dan, Aliso Hills Taekwon-do, Aliso Hills, CA
It is highly unusual for students to have an opportunity to learn from so many instructors with such high rank and vast experience.
In addition to working hard, everyone had fun with extra-curricular events including an evening social for adults, and tubing down one of Asheville’s beautiful rivers with views of the wonderfully scenic Asheville countryside.
TKDI has been holding these camps for more than 10 years and every year the camp is a high-energy weekend of intense training and immersion in Taekwon-do. Students from many schools meet to train together, learn from highly trained and highly dedicated Master and Grand Master Instructors. In addition to the lessons in class, participants get to talk about training and Taekwon-do with new friends from schools both near and far.
Next year camp will be held in early August and will run from Friday through Sunday. Let us know if you are interested and we will save a spot. Meals are included and a host families offer free lodging!
Calendar events are subject to change.
August 18: Promotion Test (study sheets)
August 20-24: Juniors Camp
August 25-September 3: School Closed
September 4: School re-opens and Regular Schedule resumes
September 15: Pattern Review
October 8: School closed for Columbus Day
October 20: Promotion Test (study sheets)
November 22-24: School closed for Thanksgiving
December 8: Promotion Test (study sheets)
Dec 24-Jan 1: School closed for Winter Holiday