Master Meany has released the test list for Saturday, October 8, 2016. Please check your email to see if you or your child are on the list!
Test times will be as follows:
1:00 Junior 1st Dan Interims
and those testing for Mighty Lions Belts
2:30 Adult 1st & 2nd Dan Interims
Mighty Lions and Juniors testing for Yellow Belt through Blue Stripe
4:00 Adult 3rd Dan and up Interims
All Adults testing for Yellow Belt and up
All Juniors testing for Blue Belt and up
and Black Belt Degree Candidates testing for 1st and 2nd Dan
On test day all Saturday classes will be held as usual.
The Fall 2016 competition training schedule has a been set for the following dates on Sunday mornings from 10:30AM to 12:00PM as follows:
Sunday 9/11 and 9/18 - Black Belts Only, Adults and Juniors
Sunday 10/2, 10/9 and 10/16 - All Adults and Juniors, both Color Belts and Black Belts
- All students in the Juniors or Adult program are welcome to the October sessions, includes all students from White Belt through Black Belt.
- You do not need to compete to take the classes.
- Students may attend some or all sessions.
- If you have fighting gear bring it.
- Students who have a Green Belt and up may get fighting gear; students who are Blue Belt or above are strongly recommended to have their own gear.
- If you do not have fighting gear you can borrow a chest guard (hogu) for the training, gear is available for purchase from the front desk.
- If you made it this far it means you are interested. We want you to attend, why don't you come to the training? We'll be happy to see you.
We will be closed
Labor Day Weekend
Saturday 9/3 thru Monday 9/5
When we re-open we will be on the Fall schedule
We apologise to people who were told we would be open on the Saturday. At the time we believed we would be open but things have since changed. Thank you.
Master Meany, Master Giletti, Master Malarkey and Master Youngblood, as well as almost 20 other students all went to Asheville, NC to attend the Taekwon-do International Summer Camp 2016 this past weekend.
The program for the weekend included a variety of areas of practice that focuses largely on Taekwon-do but included some Krav Maga and Jujitsu skills as well. There were sessions on generating power, proper kicking and punching technique, patterns, sparring drills, sparring, stretching, boxing techniques, self defense and more! Sunday capped off the weekend with each instructor giving a recap of the lessons they taught and offering highlights, take-aways and advice. Everyone there took away something to improve and inspire their training.
This year’s camp demonstrated the quality of instruction and variety of highly skilled instructors with sessions from master instructors including:
- Grandmaster S.J. Kim, 9th Dan, Founder and President of Taekwon-do International
- Master Mark Nathanson, 7th Dan, Glen Ridge Taekwon-do
- Master Tony Morris, 7th Dan, Asheville Sun Soo Tae Kwon Do, Asheville, NC
- Master John Meany, 7th Dan, Taekwon-do International Chief Instructor, Glen Ridge Taekwon-do
- Master James Marr, 7th Dan, Master Marr’s Taekwon-do, Shaker Heights, OH
- Master Laura Giletti, 6th Dan, Glen Ridge Taekwon-do
- Master Keith Klok, , 6th Dan, Klok's School of Martial Arts, Wake Forest, NC, Full Instructor Krav Maga
- Professor Thabiti Sabahive, 5th Dan Dansan Ryu Jujitsu, Asheville Sun Soo, Asheville, NC
- Master Jessica Sabatian, 4th Dan, Aliso Hills Taekwon-do, Aliso Hills, CA
It is highly unusual for students to have an opportunity to learn from so many instructors with such high rank and vast experience.
In addition to working hard, everyone had fun with extra-curricular events including an evening social for adults, and tubing down one of Asheville’s beautiful rivers with views of the wonderfully scenic Asheville countryside.
TKDI has been holding these camps for more than 10 years and every year the camp is a high-energy weekend of intense training and immersion in Taekwon-do. Students from many schools meet to train together, learn from highly trained and highly dedicated Master and Grand Master Instructors. In addition to the lessons in class, participants get to talk about training and Taekwon-do with new friends from schools both near and far.
Next year camp will be held in early August and will run from Friday through Sunday. Let us know if you are interested and we will save a spot. Meals are included and a host families offer free lodging!
Please note that calendar events are subject to change. Check back to confirm events.
October 2: Competition training - All Adults & Juniors
October 8: NEW DATE Promotion Test (study sheets)
October 9 & 16: Competition training - All Adults & Juniors
October 23: 13th US Open Masters Taekwon Do Championship
November 12: Junior Cup Taekwon-do Championship, Roseland, NJ
November 24, 25 & 26: School closed for Thanksgiving
December 3: Founder's Classic Competition, Complete Martial Arts, Roseland, NJ
December 10: Promotion Test (study sheets) and Holiday Party
December 24-January 1, 2017: School closed for end of year holidays
April 22, 2017: Taekwon-do International Spring 2017 Invitational Competition
August 4-6: Taekwon-do International 2017 Summer Boot Camp (tent.)